Skip to Content
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
Award-winning. Thought-provoking. Tackling the most diverse genres and styles.
- Nonfiction Thesis Fellow, George Mason University, 2014–2015.
- Mary Roberts Rinehart Non-Fiction Award, Honorable Mention, George Mason University, 2014.
- First Place in Wag’s Revue Summer Short Story Contest and $1000, Summer 2012.
- First Place and $300 for MSU Creative Writing Awards for Fiction, 19 April 2011.
- Jim Cash Award and $1500 for Creative Writing Portfolio at MSU, 14 April 2011.
- First Place Award in Communication Arts and Sciences Oral Presentation at University Undergraduate Research and Arts Forum (UURAF) at MSU, 8 April 2011.
- “DO: The Way of Ethnography” Scholarship, EPIC Conference, National Association for the Practice of Anthropology, 2010.
- $800 Jeffrey and Kathryn Cole International Study Award to Dakar, Senegal, 2010.
- $5000 Presidential Scholarship for Study Abroad in Dakar, Senegal, 2010.
- Four-Year Renewable Honors College National Scholarship at MSU, 2008 to 2011.
- Live Poets Society, Honorable Mention, Fall–Winter 2007.
- “Church on the Cross” essay read at the Master of Fine Arts Fellows Reading at George Mason University Fall for the Book Festival. 18 September 2014.
- “Dragged to Christ,” essay read for the Loud Fire! Reading Series. Epicure Café, September 2014.
- “After the Picardy” lyric essay read for the Loud Fire! Reading Series. Epicure Café, 15 September 2013.
- “Cockroaches” essay read at the Kindling Reading Series. Friendship House, September 2012.
- “Ecdysis” essay read at Daedalus Smokes Cigarettes on the Genial Sabbath at (SCENE) Metrospace. Hosted by Writer’s Collective of East Lansing. 4 April 2012.
- Opening reader in Live Lit! Reading Series. Read several poems and a short story excerpt. 27 October 2011.
- Read several lyric essay excerpts in Short Readings by Professional Writing Students at the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature. May 7–9, 2009
- Adjunct Professorial Lecturer at American University (2019)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of English at Northern Virginia Community College (2016/2019)
- Graduate Instructor at George Mason University (2013/2014)
- Writing Center Tutor at George Mason University (2012)
- English Instructor at Bright N Up Academy (2019)
- English Teacher at Curie Learning (2016/2017)
- Assistant Writing Instructor at Take My Word for It! Creative Writing for Kids (2013)
- Private Tutor at Akari Tutoring (2012)
- Freelance tutoring, including working with artist Hera Kim (Ongoing)
- Nonfiction Editor at the literary journal So to Speak: a feminist journal of language and art (2014-2015)
- Nonfiction reader at the literary journal Phoebe (2012)
- Copy Managing Editor for the yearbook Red Cedar Log (2010-2011)
- Poetry Reader for the literary journal Red Cedar Review (2011)
- Nonfiction Intern for the literary journal Fourth Genre: Explorations in Nonfiction (2011)
- Peer Reviewer at the scholarly undergraduate journal Articulate (2009)
- Freelance Editing that encompasses copy and/or development editing of everything from a PhD dissertation, sci-fi thriller, after-school enrichment curriculum, and a prep school review website (Ongoing)
- March on the Mansion (February 2019)
- Street Evangelism (2015-2016)
- American News Women’s Club (Former)
- Christians for Biblical Equality
- Editorial Freelancer’s Association
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Welcome to Washington International Club (Former)
- Kampala and Jinja, Uganda (2019)
- Southeast Asia (2013)
- Dakar, Senegal (2010)
- Proyart, France (2008)